October 7, 2011

Cookies 'n Milk

I'm always taken back at how some of the most simple things create lasting memories. For example:

Tonight I called the family around the table for cookies and milk. We laughed and giggled, and ended up staying around the table for quite a while. I just took every second of it in...slowly. It was so much fun.

Then it hit me. I know why this is so much fun! Flash back to my younger years.

Dunking cookies (and not any cookies I might mention, Chips Ahoy) was serious business in my family. My dad had rules for the family event. I'll paint the scene.

The whole family, 6 girls, mom and dad, would sit around the table with our shallow glasses full of milk. We each also had a stack of cookies right next to us. A large box of Chips Ahoy! would be in the middle of the table for when we ran out. You would think we were about to play a serious game of ROOK or something, but no. Just dunking cookies. Here are the rules:

1. Don't dunk your first cookie in the milk until dad says "One, two, three dunk."
2. Don't let your cookie break while soaking


Penalty: NO MORE COOKIES!

I heard a mom once say "Feed your teenagers cookies, and you can get anything out of 'em."
Rang true in our family. Didn't matter what time of day or night, we would dunk. It was the best. This tradition even carried over into our family rafting trips on the Salmon River. If you have dunked with our family, you are a lucky few. Seriously!
Seems funny and a bit strange perhaps, but some great conversations came out of dunking cookies.
Hopefully we are on the right track!


BTW, rules don't count for the little ones! :) 


Even Big T enjoyed some cookie!

4 comments:

Jon and Bre said...

ah cookie dunking... so fun... yet kinda scary... I remember being so scared of messing up haha! Love you guys! your kids are getting so big and they are SO cute!

Anonymous said...

if you put your whole fist in, it makes the cookie taste better. excited to live closer to you guys

Nick

Lara Kennard said...

The last picture with Ty and the kids is absolutely adorable! Bristol is beautiful!

Ty, Steph, Bris, Big T said...

Nick~
You would! Actually I'm pretty sure that your fist was always dripping with milk by the end!

Ya can't get here soon enough! :)